Thursday, September 06, 2007

Sawyers

Edit: It looks like graphs don't get comments! I should say that even though there are a lots of Sawyers, ours is a special little guy. Here is Sawyer inspecting Quack-Quack when Quack-Quack stopped by on his trip to North Carolina.







Today my parents forwarded me an article that mentions a little girl with the first name Sawyer.

It's true; there are other Sawyers out there (although this is the first girl I've see with the name). Namevoyager lists 'Sawyer' as the 247th most popular name for boys in 2006. As you can see in the graph to the right, there was a huge spike in the last few years, almost certainly attributed to the popularity of the character Sawyer on the show Lost.

There was a great documentary by Alan Berliner a couple years ago called "The Sweetest Sound" about names. As part of the movie, he invites a dozen other Alan Berliners to dinner to discuss knowing that there are other people in the world with your name.

This hit home the other day when I called to make a dental appointment, and the receptionist was confused for a moment because apparently I'm not the only person with my name that goes to that dentist.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I was thinking of what to write... ;)

But when people say "oh, like LOST" he can say, "no, it's a family name."

Special, special, special!

nanapapava said...

I admit, it is a funny graph....skinny, skinny & then a big bulge!

Nana

Chris S. said...

I just tell folks that Sawyer's parents are huge fans of a certain anchor woman.

He sure is giving that duck a thorough exam--maybe avian dentistry is in his future.

Susan Nolan said...

I love the photo of Sawyer and Quacky Quacky....The Quackmesiter said to tell Sawyer he's sorry he swallowed Sawyer's binky.